2020 Hungarian Grand Prix – Sunday. Lewis Hamilton finished where he started in number 1 position and now takes the lead in the Drivers Championship. Of course victory in this season takes Lewis to equal championship victories with the great Michael Schumaker.
In fact, this victory at the 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix matches Schumacher’s 8th win for this race at the same track, an outstanding achievement.
Lewis takes victory for the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team at the 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix, with Valtteri P3.
- Lewis scored the 86th win of his Formula One career – his second of the 2020 season and eighth at the Hungaroring, matching Michael Schumacher’s record for the most wins scored at the same race and the same track.
- Valtteri recovered from a poor start to fight his way back to P3, scoring his second podium finish at the Hungaroring.
- Lewis scored the additional point for fastest lap, with his 1:16.627 setting a new lap record at the Hungaroring.
- Today’s race marks Lewis’s 150th race led in F1.
- Lewis (63 points) leads the Drivers’ Championship by five points from Valtteri (58 points).
- The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team (121 points) leads Red Bull Racing (55 points) by 66 points in the Constructors’ Championship
- Peter Bonnington, Senior Race Engineer, accepted the Constructors’ trophy on behalf of the team
|Driver||Chassis No.||Grid||Result||Fastest Lap|
|Lewis Hamilton||F1 W11 EQ Performance/01||P1||P1||1:16.627|
|Valtteri Bottas||F1 W11 EQ Performance/03||P2||P3||1:17.665|
|Strategy||Start||Stop 1||Stop 2||Stop 3|
|No.44||Inter||Mediums (3)||Medium (37)||Soft (66)|
|No.77||Inter||Mediums (2)||Medium (33)||Hard (49)|
What an incredible race. Honestly, that was one of my favourites that I’ve raced, even though I was on my own for the majority, it’s a very different kind of challenge and I was pushing hard out there – particularly for the fastest lap at the end. I want to say a huge congratulations to everyone back home at the factory in Brackley and at HPP in Brixworth, they’ve done such a fantastic job developing and improving for this year and this team just continues to amaze me. I love working with them and I’m grateful to be able to perform for them on weekends like this. We had great pace today, brilliant pit stops, a fantastic strategy and then, as I was managing those Mediums for a long, long time, at the end it was the perfect time to get on fresh tyres and take that extra point for fastest lap. Everything has just been on point throughout the weekend, so we need to try and keep it up. I can’t wait for Silverstone now, although I’ll miss the energy the fans bring, so I hope I can perform for them there as I know they’ll be watching from home.