World’s biggest selling Plug In Hybrid
Mitsubishi Motors today announces the release of the 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Follows the press release for this significant vehicle in the Mitsubishi range.
2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV in Brief:
- Introduction of new GSR model with premium Bilstein suspension
- ADAS safety now standard on All PHEV
- Vehicle to Home (V2H) and Vehicle to Grid (V2G) capability
2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Performance:
- A combined maximum power output of 157kW (Parallel Hybrid mode only)
- Combined maximum torque output of 332Nm (All drive modes)
- 2.4-Litre petrol engine 94kW @ 4,500rpm and 199Nm at 4,500rpm
- Maximum power output, front motor 60kW, rear motor 70kW
- Maximum torque front 137Nm, rear 195Nm
- Drive battery capacity 13.8kWh, potential electric driving range up to 54km (approx. 7 hours charge time (type 1), 3 hours (type 2) or 25 mins on DC fast charger).
The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV gives owners an everyday EV driving experience with an electric range that suits the kind of use that most family cars are put to: the school drop-off and daily commute, which often include stop-go traffic (where internal combustion engines are at their least efficient).
The petrol engine utilized in Series and Parallel Hybrid drive modes offers the ability to go further without range anxiety. All Outlander PHEVs have Mitsubishi’s proprietary Super All Wheel Control (S-AWC) and offer a unique solution of having an electric motor for each axle, which means that even in EV mode, the Outlander PHEV won’t compromise versatility, drivability and safety.
This is the first SUV with Vehicle to Home (V2H) and Vehicle to Grid (V2G) Capability
2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is truly “Built Today for Tomorrow” with V2H/V2G capability available not only in 21MY but has also been present in Outlander PHEV since 17MY.
V2H/V2G are emerging technologies that have the potential to change the way we look at electrified vehicles, from being a mode of transport to being an energy storage solution that can deploy energy stored in the drive battery as a form of mobility, to power your home, or even to contribute to grid security.
The introduction of Bi-directional chargers in the Australian market in 2021 will unlock V2H/ V2G capability for Outlander PHEV owner’s for the first time.
The 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GSR brings new energy to the PHEV line-up with unique on-road and in-cabin character
In 2020, the Outlander PHEV gained improved drivetrain performance and the addition of a Sport mode. This year, Mitsubishi has built on the advanced PHEV powertrain, adding Bilstein premium suspension package tuned to enhance driving enjoyment. The GSR with Bilstein suspension improves Outlander PHEV steering balance, stability and ride comfort, and coupled with PHEV DNA of low centre of gravity (courtesy of underfloor mounted drive battery) and instant, linear torque delivery from the front and rear electric motors, offers on-road handling and driving experience like no other PHEV before it.
GSR unique chassis features:
- GSR introduces Bilstein Premium Suspension package consisting of inverted monotube front struts and rear shock absorbers with matched increased front and rear spring rates, and ball-bearing front strut upper insulator assemblies.
GSR unique exterior features:
- Black painted front and rear bumper skid plates, door mirrors, roof rails and roof
- Black chrome-plated radiator grille, front bumper air ducts, tailgate garnish
- 18” black/machined two-tone alloy wheels
- LED headlamps with auto levelling and front fog lamps
GSR unique interior features:
- Styling includes black accents such as shift knob, roof lining and A-pillar trim, silver stitched armrest, door trim, and steering wheel.
- Driver comfort is assured with a 4-way driver power seat with microsuede facings and synthetic leather bolsters
- Mitsubishi 8-speaker premium audio
- Power tailgate
2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Enhanced safety technology
The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV benefits from the latest in MMC safety technology, with its advanced features working to protect occupants, other road users and pedestrians, both in determining the risk of an impending accident and in the event of a collision.
The SUV has a comprehensive passive safety architecture based on Mitsubishi’s RISE (Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution) impact safety body and seven SRS airbag arrangement. This includes airbags fitted in front driver and passenger, side and side curtain areas.
For 21MY, Outlander PHEV ES benefits from additional standard active safety equipment including Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure Warning, and Automatic High Beam. This adds to the already standard Forward Collision Mitigation (providing a visible and audible warning if a collision risk has been identified, escalating to autonomous braking if a high risk of collision has been determined) and Rear Parking Sensors with Rearview Camera.
The new 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GSR extends the standard safety equipment list with Blind Spot Warning, Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Front Parking Sensors adding to the already extensive PHEV safety list.
The Outlander PHEV Exceed adds Unintended Acceleration Mitigation System in case the driver mistakenly presses the accelerator when stationary or at speeds of up to 6 mph), and a Multi-around view camera for 360o visibility
Model line-up PHEV All Models
2.4L S-MIVEC PHEV
Key specifications above ICE Outlander:
Twin electric motors
Electronic power steering
Smart key w/ one touch start
Super All Wheel Control (S-AWC)
Electric park brake with auto hold
Fog lamps – Halogen
13.8 kWh Traction battery
Regenerative braking system
Heated front seats
80kW On-board generator
Joystick type selector lever
Mode 2 charging cable
54km of travel on pure electric mode
3 drive modes – Pure EV, Series Hybrid and Parallel Hybrid
2.4L S-MIVEC PHEV
ES Key specifications:
Forward Collision Mitigation)
Dual zone air-conditioning
Rain sensing wipers
Rear view camera
Rear seat HVAC vents
Dusk sensing headlamps
Hill Start Assist
Rear USB power supply x 2
Adaptive Cruise Control
LED Daytime Running Lamps
8” touch screen display audio
Lane Departure Warning
18” alloy wheels – Machined/Silver
Bluetooth phone w/voice control
Automatic High Beam
Black cloth seat trim
Digital Audio Broadcast
Reverse parking sensors
Driver power lumbar support
Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Leather steering wheel
2.4L S-MIVEC PHEV
GSR Key specifications above ES:
Bilstein premium suspension
Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
Rear spoiler – Black mica
Black roof lining
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Roof rail – Gloss black
Power driver seat (4 way)
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Roof – Black mica
Interior red stitching
Front parking sensors
Black exterior parts
Door trim leather insert
18” alloy wheels – Black/Machined
MPSS Premium Audio (8 –speakers)
Heated door mirror with turn lamp and fold control
Microsuede seat trim with synthetic leather bolster
Piano black with silver pin stripe interior trim
2.4L S-MIVEC PHEV
Exceed Key specifications above GSR:
LED headlamps w/Auto levelling
Roof rail – Silver
Colour code roof and rear spoiler
Multi Around Monitor
LED front fog lamps
Outer scuff plate
Chrome door handles
Speed limit information display
Chrome belt line moulding
EV remote control app
Ultrasonic Misacceleration System (UMS)
Leather seat facings with synthetic leather bolsters
Carbon print with silver pin stripe interior trim
EVPS – V2H, V2G Islanding Capability
2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Colours:
ES and Exceed are available in:
- Ruby Black
- Red Diamond
GSR is available in:
- Starlight with Black mica roof panel and rear spoiler
- Titanium with Black mica roof panel and rear spoiler
- Red Diamond with Black mica roof panel and rear spoiler
Three Drive modes
The 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV drivetrain offers the flexibility of three Drive Modes:
- EV Priority Mode
- Car powered by the front & rear motors
- Energy sourced from the battery
- Series Hybrid Mode
- Car still powered by the front & rear motors
- Engine engaged to run the generator to charge the battery while driving
- Mode automatically activated for sudden acceleration, driving uphill or when the battery state of charge is too low
- System switches back to EV Priority mode as much as possible
- Parallel Hybrid Mode
- Engine powers front wheels (via Multimode front transaxle*)
- Front electric motor assists engine, rear motor drives rear wheels
- Mode automatically activated at high speed
- System switches to Series Hybrid/ EV Priority mode as much as possible
Despite the apparent complexity of switching between different operating modes, the driving experience is effortless – the vehicle seamlessly selects the appropriate operating mode whilst at all times looking to turn off the Internal Combustion Engine.
This is core to the PHEV driving experience, as under all driving conditions it will take-off from standstill as an electric vehicle with the associated advantages of an EV such as instant torque, smooth acceleration and near silent motion.
2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Pricing:
RRP (on release)
Drive Away (on release)
Outlander PHEV ES (5 seat AWD)
Outlander PHEV GSR (5 seat AWD)
Outlander PHEV Exceed
Paint: Prestige paint $550
Hello. I’m Bob Aldons, the owner and editor of The Car Guy.
The Car Guy is an independently owned car review website. I’m currently testing cars for Mazda, Nissan, Kia, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Renault, Subaru, and Hyundai. Through Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport I’m also writing about the 2020 Formula 1 season
I’m not paid by any car company for my opinion and my companies don’t receive advertising revenue to say nice things about them. I call it as I see it.
However, I also own a new car brokerage company – Car Business. Being able to review new cars gives me an opportunity to provide accurate information on these brands. If you’re in the market for Any New Car Cheaper, contact me at Car Business and see how I go about saving you some serious money.
Perhaps you think that you can do the job of buying a new car yourself? If you’re after any advice at all, give me a call and ask me any question that you need to be answered.
Other Links: MAZDA SKYACTIV-X M HYBRID ON SALE | Press Release